The Seagulls Academy is the Elite Player Development program of the Wynnum Manly Seagulls. The Junior Academy consists of players aged between 12 to 15. The Senior Academy consists of players aged between 16 to 21 and incorporates the Cyril Connell U16's, the Mal Meninga U18s, and Hastings Deering Colts U21s sides.
The Seagulls Academy Manager (‘SAM’) reports to the Chief Executive Officer. The SAM is responsible for overseeing and implementing the Seagulls Academy Program as well as assisting with the Club’s Football Operations, and will:
- Ensure the highest standards of education and training are maintained within junior club and school network,
- Oversee all aspects of the Seagulls Academy, and
- Assist with Football Operations to provide a professional environment for all players and coaches.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Through the education of coaches and Club Coaching Directors, the SAM will enhance the skill standard of all players and coaches.
- Create online portal of information containing training programs, football sets and structures, coach education, helpful information etc which Junior clubs, schools and Seagulls Academy students can access. Intellectual property is to be private and password locked.
- Develop a “Recommended Football Structures and Training Manual” from U5s through to U18s for all Junior Clubs and Schools in our catchment to use.
- Develop a set of standards and KPIs which measure how well Junior Clubs and Schools are following our recommended guide. Ensure Junior Clubs and Schools are accountable through interaction with Junior Club Coaching Directors and regular Performance Reviews.
- Work in partnership with the other Game Development Services to promote the Club and the game of Rugby League within our catchment high schools.
- Coordinate the coaching and education of coaches for all high schools that are within our catchment area.
- Assist in the administration of the Seagulls Shield and the Bayside Broncos Challenge.
- Coordinate the support to schools within our catchment to ensure that Rugby League continues to grow and becomes the leading sport within our schools.
Junior Affiliate Clubs:
- Program and coordinate all other Game Development Services (QRL, ARLD & NRL Affiliate) to assist with education and training activities of our affiliated clubs.
- Organise Junior Club visits for all junior clubs to work with specific teams of squads or coaches as required by the junior clubs.
- Coordinate necessary courses for coaches, officials and volunteers for our affiliated clubs.
Elite Player Development Program
- Liaise with Junior Club Coaching Directors and coaches to identify and select players for Seagulls Academy.
- Attend all relevant schoolboy and junior representative carnivals to identify and select players for Seagulls Academy. Includes select schoolboy rugby union fixtures and carnivals outside of Queensland.
- Liaise and build relationships with local rugby league scouts and coaches in non-SEQ regions to identify potential Seagulls Academy players.
- Liaise and build relationship with NRL Affiliate Junior Development Manager to identify potential Seagulls Academy players.
- Coordinate elite camps in select regions to promote Seagulls Academy and identify and select players for Seagulls Academy.
- Oversee and manage the 2 x Seagulls Player houses.
- Conduct monthly inspections of the 2 x Seagulls Player houses and hold players accountable to cleanliness and good behaviour.
- Liaise with local businesses and sponsors to find work for all players in club (including both Seagulls Academy players and Senior Sides).
- Liaise with local real estate agents to find accommodation for all players in club (including both Seagulls Academy players and Senior Sides).
- Order and purchase all equipment and apparel requirements for the Seagulls Academy. Liaise with CEO for budget and design.
- Regular interaction with players within Seagulls Academy to ensure they are displaying positive behaviour on and off the field (including school and work behaviour).
- Communicate with players’ parents, families and coaches. Always ensure highest levels of professionalism in conduct.
- Liaise with Club Welfare Manager in assisting those players which need additional guidance and support.
Elite Player Development Program:
- Establish and implement a rugby league specific elite player skill development program for all players involved in the Seagulls Academy.
- Liaise with the strength and conditioning staff to implement a physical development program that prepares players for rugby league.
- Identify suitable coaches within our Junior Club network, Senior Squads or NRL Affiliate to assist staff with training Seagull Academy.
- Liaise with external specialists in providing information seminars and workshops to Seagulls Academy players. Including but not limited to nutrition advice, career advice, inspirational speakers etc.
- Prepare and implement a code of conduct, Seagulls Academy manual, Seagulls Academy calendar and information brochure to provide to parents prior to commencement of Seagulls Academy.
- To develop and foster the relationship between the Wynnum Manly Seagulls and NRL Affiliate.
- Manage through close involvement in all aspects of the football club, the establishment and maintaining of the club culture and adherence to the club vision and ideals.
- In conjunction with Head Coach and CEO, responsible for recruiting of all players, coaches and support staff including contracts. Manage the recruiting network and all relevant recruitment activities.
- Assist in management and contracting of all support staff (incl. physiotherapist, doctor and sports trainers).
- Responsible for all football equipment and property. Includes ensuring that all necessary equipment is ready for gameday.
- Manage the ordering of players and staff uniforms and relevant equipment. Liaise with CEO for design and budget.
- Liaise directly with ground staff regarding the condition and availability for training and playing of Kougari Oval. Manage the usage of Kougari Oval.
- Attend functions & events relevant to the employment position.
- Any other duties as directed by the CEO and Head Coach.
- The SAM will be expected to ensure that the Club is regularly updated on such issues as:
- Elite Player Development progress.
- Junior Club - Seagulls Academy - Seagulls Senior Squads transition rates.
- Junior Clubs & High Schools performance reviews against recommended programs.
- Recruitment into Seagulls Academy.
- Player welfare including Seagulls houses, school behaviour and work attendance.
- The SAM will be expected to report on outcomes to the CEO, for preparation of monthly reports to the Board.
- Set up a database that will provide all the necessary information for the successful record keeping of the football club players, managers and coaches from our network.
- Report to the CEO and Head Coach on a weekly basis on all activities.
- Liaise with all stakeholders as necessary to provide clear communication lines between all parties.
- Liaise with CEO for budget on Seagulls Academy. Once budget is set, SAM is responsible for delivery of requirements under the budget.
- Organise any marketing material required to carry out work as necessary.
- Provide support when requested to the Head Coach or the CEO.
- Ensure all players in Seagulls Academy are registered and have up to date information in our database.
- Level 1 Coaching Accreditation
- First Aid Certificate
- Current Provide/Perform CPR
- Working with Children / Working with Vulnerable People Check
- Drivers Licence
- Relevant Tertiary Qualification
- Level 2 Coaching Accreditation
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please click 'Apply Now' to begin the application process. You will require a CV and Cover Letter for this application.
Applications close on 6th October 2022
and come back later!