A recent refresh of the University Sport & Activity Framework has resulted in a commitment to winning National Championships. You will have responsibility for the management of the strength and conditioning service to the scholars and student-athletes who are part of the University’s PerformanceProgram (0.8FTE). Additionally, you will contribute to teaching and research in the discipline area of Sport and Exercise Science for the School of Human Sciences (0.2 FTE).
This role highlights the University of Derby’s commitment to strategically embedding academic research into an applied S&C environment and will suit a practitioner wishing to develop academically or a currentlecturer wishing to develop a culture of applied practice and student opportunities.
- Manage the delivery and implementation of the strength and conditioning programme to Team Derby Performance Teams, Development Teams, and Sports Scholars. Including athlete screening, and individual and group coaching.
- Coordinate agreements between TASS and the University, as the institution’s lead representative.
- Ensure the Strength and Conditioning delivery to individual athletes and TASS Potential schools is in line with the agreements.
- Support the TALS (lifestyle services) to student-athletes (Team Derby & TASS) and report associated partners.
- Build an effective network within TASS to promote the University’s reputation, explore new opportunities to advance the partnership with TASS, and attend conferences and meetings as required.
Research / Scholarship
- Ensure that knowledge from research and scholarly activities informs and enhances learning and teaching, as well as extending it to appropriate external activities such as knowledge transfer activities.
- Engage in individual research and collaborate both internally and externally on research projects that are consistent with the College, and contribute to influencing leading edge practice in the University and contribution to the REF.
- Sustain and enhance the reputation of the University by publishing in appropriate quality journals and presenting at scholarly activities such as workshops, conferences and other similar events.
- Contribute to writing bids for externally funded research projects.
- Good Honours Degree in relevant subject discipline or equivalent
- UKSCA Accreditation
- Master’s degree and/or postgraduate equivalent in the relevant subject area
- Fellowship of the Advanced HE (HEA) or willingness to work towards (within 18 months)
- Experience in developing, delivering, and evaluating strength and conditioning programmes for athletes and teams.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting to provide assurance and evidence of attendances and athlete progression and producing reports against success measures to evidence impact.
- Experience in building working relationships with key stakeholders. NGBs, TASS, sports clubs, coaches
- Experience or knowledge of higher education and ability to use a range of delivery techniques to inspire and engage students
Research / Scholarship
- Significant experience of own discipline to enable the development of new knowledge and understanding within the field
- Experience of research / enterprise activity
Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Detailed knowledge of Strength & Conditioning programs within the sporting environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: leadership, teamwork, adaptability, understanding others & negotiation.
- Excellent self-management skills: actively reflect on learning, autonomy, self- awareness, action planning, time management & initiative.
- An appropriate level of digital capability and aptitude with practical experience of applications which aid student learning
- Ability to communicate complex and conceptual ideas to a range of groups
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including networking and relationship building skills, both across the University and externally
- Able to demonstrate both independent self-management and team working
- Able to work with competing priorities and to tight deadlines
- Demonstrates competences, core behaviours and supplementary behaviours that support and promote the University’s core values
- Demonstrates professionalism in learning / teaching and the values of the UK Professional Standards Framework for HE
- A sound understanding of the employability agenda and its relevance to learners and the curriculum
- Innovative and creative
- Committed to continual enhancement and a high quality student experience
- Able to take a flexible approach to work
- A commitment to own professional development
- The role requires regular evening work during term time, and you will need to be adaptable and have a flexible approach to work with the availability to work weekends where necessary.
- Ability to travel to all delivery sites and venues as required
- Work with Performance Sports Coaches and Performance Support Staff to ensure the physicalprogression of the Development Teams promotes a pathway to Performance Team levels
- Work collaboratively with the Sport and Exercise Science team to develop the current appliedworkforce strength and conditioning coaches to support delivery. Allowing UoD students the opportunity to gain practical experience which compliments their studies and enhances student employability.
- Design and embed robust and detailed databases to track and monitor training, attendance, and testing statistics and communicate with the MDT regarding athlete progress and performance.
- Coordinate the performance suite timetable in collaboration with key stakeholders to maximise the utilisation of the performance suite, adhering to all requirements and procedures aligned to the University Room Booking processes.
- Comply with all policies and legislation in the performance of the duties of the post, including Health and Safety, Equality and Diversity, and Financial Regulations. Practice within the rules of the professional code of conduct including ethical guidelines and regulations with regard to drugs and doping in sports.
- Effectively teach and facilitate learning on a range of subjects / modules within the subject area on undergraduate, postgraduate, professional and post- experience programmes.
- Ensure that module design and delivery comply with the quality standards and regulations of the University.
- Participate effectively in the assessment process, including the setting, marking and moderation of student work, providing constructive feedback and ensuring it is in accordance with quality assurance procedures.
- Participate in the continuing review and development of module/programme delivery, incorporating innovative study modes, learning environments and pedagogic practices to engage and stimulate students, deliver effective learning outcomes and develop the skills and attributes of the ‘Derby Graduate’.
How to Apply
Please click “Apply Now” to begin your application.
and come back later!