We are looking to appoint an experienced leader, to guide and deliver the strategic direction of our charity; someone who can supercharge the next phase of our organisational evolution.
The successful candidate will have experience navigating complex landscapes such as health, education, planning or local government. They will be an expert relationship builder and have exceptional leadership and advocacy skills.
Main duties and responsibities:
- To provide leadership, advocacy and vision for sport and physical activity in Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent, ensuring that the Partnership has a strong public and political profile
- To lead, with the guidance of the Board, on the strategic direction of the organisation and the implementation of our Step Up Strategy.
- To lobby for physical activity and sport to form a core part of policy, practice and commissioning locally
- To monitor the organisation’s performance and provide the Board and staff with the tools to enable effective decision making.
- To develop a strong culture of monitoring, learning and evaluation to better understand the needs of our local communities and of Together Actives impact.
- To lead, inspire, manage and develop the organisation’s staff in ways which attract and retain high-quality personnel
- To develop a business plan and financial strategy for the charity which ensures its ongoing sustainability, with the support of the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Finance and Audit Group,
- To work with the board and COO to ensure Together Active complies with The Code for Sports Governance.
- To fulfil expectations and requirements of funding partners and to seek further investment into the partnership
- To attend Together Active Board and Sub-Group meetings including the presentation of reports. To lead on specific work as directed by the Board or on behalf of its sub-groups.
- To champion equality, diversity and inclusion in sport and physical activity and to ensure this is embedded the work of the organisation.
This job description is not necessarily an exhaustive list of duties but is intended to reflect the range of duties the post-holder will perform. The job description will be reviewed regularly and may be changed in the light of experience and in consultation with the post-holder.
- Leadership – Exceptional leadership skills. Has a proven track record of leading an organisation or having high level management experience in the commercial, public or voluntary sector. Has the ability to inspire confidence.
- Communication – Exceptional communication skills. Has the ability to present arguments with knowledge and understanding of wider strategic contexts. Able to listen and make reasoned contributions to debate and a willingness to speak their mind.
- Strategic thinking –Develops and drives he organisation’s overall strategy, able to assess implications before making decisions. Strategic vision, thinking, planning and oversight.
- Judgement – Independence of mind. A proven track record of providing clear, independent, balanced advice and guidance with the ability to challenge constructively.
- Negotiating and influencing – Demonstrates effective skills in persuasion and negotiation to influence others in order to promote effective debate and decision making. Ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders at all levels. Effective networking skills with senior influencers.
- Team working – Ability to develop positive relationships that generate confidence and respect. Ability to engage and enthuse people individually and in groups. Experience of working in collaboration with others, working towards common goals and shared objectives.
- Adaptability– Ability to respond to a changing landscape / changing priorities, and adjust our priorities and activities accordingly
Abilities, skills and knowledge:
- Experience of leading organisations and developing teams to reach their potential
- A strategic thinker, able to analyse complex information, demonstrate clear analytical intellect and guide rational decision making. Ability to apply creative and imaginative
- Knowledge and understanding of the sport and physical activity landscape and the issues currently influencing it
- Ability to actively monitor and manage the performance of the organisation, encouraging and supporting others to achieve the highest standards of governance, scrutiny, legal and financial responsibilities.
- Experience of working alongside Boards and sub-groups
- Demonstrates a strong and clear commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion, and to safeguarding children, young people and adults at risk
- Ability to inspire others and build trust and respect from colleagues and stakeholders.
- IT literate and comfortable with handling, analysing and prioritising data.
- Proficiency in financial management, strategy and planning.
- AstronganddemonstrableknowledgeofthechallengesandopportunitiesfacingStoke-on- Trent is desirable
- Able to assess and manage risk and promote risk awareness without being risk averse.
To apply, you should submit:
Please note that applications can only be considered if all the documentation is complete. All documentation is available in the jobs section of our website.
Please click 'Apply Now' to send your application to Hazell Thorogood: Applications must be received by midnight, Sunday 5th June 2022
You will receive an acknowledgement within two working days of receipt. If after that time you have not heard from us, we suggest you ring Hazell Thorogood on 07800 619681 to ensure that it has arrived safely.
and come back later!