The R&A promotes professional championships including The Open, The Senior Open and the AIG Women’s Open, elite amateur events, international matches, and rankings. The R&A, through R&A Rules Ltd, governs the sport worldwide, outside of the United States and Mexico, on behalf of over 36 million golfers in 144 countries and with the consent of 158 organisations from amateur and professional golf.
The R&A is looking to recruit a Project Manager to join the Championships Department. This role involves working with the Director – Championships to support a varied and diverse number of projects across The Open and the AIG Women’s Open. The successful candidate will be required to build strong relationships with colleagues, across multiple departments, work and manage contractors and be willing and able to develop new skills.
Role and Responsibilities
Core responsibilities include the following:
- Working with the R&A’s Guest Services Assistant and IT department, carry out a full review of our current Guest service solutions with a view to producing a brief for the business to consider, including a full breakdown of costs and benefits on a new improved solution.
- Operational planning and delivery at both Championships of the Blue Water project.
- Working with the Director – Championship and Head of Catering to evaluate and identify, with the support of external consultants, potential operation efficiencies at The Open and the AIG Women’s Open in the catering planning and delivery.
- To carry out specific projects identified by the Tournament Director within the new event strategy for AIG Women’s Open.
- To work with the Head of Catering on a capital investment project for the Patrons operations at The Open.
- To work with the Head of Hospitality, Head of Catering and the Tournament Director for the AIG Women’s Open to produce a detailed proposal, including a full breakdown of costs, for General Admission plus hospitality offer for The Open and the AIG Women’s Open.
- Operational planning and delivery of equipment manufacturers at The Open and the AIG Women’s Open.
- Additional projects will be discussed and approved by the Director – Championships on an ongoing basis and will be assigned to the Project Manager at the appropriate and agreed time.
- This role will involve regular travel within and potentially out with GB&I.
- This role will involve being away from home for short periods of time throughout the year.
- The role will involve attendance at The Open and AIG Women’s Open and this could result in being away from home for a number of weeks.
- This role will involve weekend and evening work around championship season.
Qualifications Knowledge and Experience
- Strong project management skills with the ability to adapt to changing environments.
- Major sport event experience.
- Experience of managing budgets.
- Experienced user of Microsoft Office.
- Experience in planning and delivering food and beverage operations at major sporting events.
Experience in planning major sporting events using temporary infrastructure.
Skills and Personal Qualities
- Excellent administrative, organisation and time-management skills coupled with the utmost levels of confidentiality and discretion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with people at all levels.
- High levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage changing priorities effectively.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic.
- Proactive approach to problem identification and providing solutions.
- Always prepared to ‘go the extra mile’ in delivering projects on time and to the highest standards.
- Willingness to develop and enhance knowledge and skills.
- Be an excellent team player with leadership abilities.
- Have a strong work ethic.
- Builds strong relationships with clients and contractors.
- Highly motivated and enthusiastic.
Please note that we are unable to provide sponsorship for a work visa so candidates should ensure they already have or are able to obtain the right to work in the UK before applying.
and come back later!