The successful candidate will work closely with the Pathway Lead physiotherapist to deliver the Performance Medicine Strategy to the England Development Pathway and develop the strategy for the Youth Development Phase (YDP). This includes leadership of the YDP pathway and line management of the consultant physiotherapists delivering to the U15, U16 and U17 teams.
The successful candidate be on camp physiotherapist for one of these teams and deliver to other national teams as required (max 80-100 days on camp per season). Being a critical member of a multidisciplinary support team will require you to work collaboratively with coaches, physical performance coaches, team doctor and team operations managers both on and off camp to deliver an exceptional performance medicine support.
To maximise the prospects of success and to prepare players for potential senior call-up, the FA have developed ways of working that give consistency of practice throughout the development pathway. This includes ongoing development of a curriculum to ensure our physiotherapists can deliver to a consistently high standard within a framework. In addition to the team role, there is an expectation that the successful individual will contribute to the delivery and development of this curriculum.
- Delivery of outstanding performance medicine to the team you work with. This encompasses all aspects of injury assessment, management & rehabilitation, Injury prevention and load management.
- To closely liaise with the MDT and the coaching staff to ensure optimal management of player's health and fitness throughout the camp.
- Delivery of FA Performance Medicine curriculum on camp. Focus blocks include wellness and exposure, injury management, mandated screening and education, player intel & info and health and wellbeing.
- Support the physical performance team in their delivery of team preparation, recovery, travel, nutrition, and load management for international football.
- Using your physiotherapy team, ensure regular updates are provided on all YDP players status updates following club fixtures. Follow up with clubs if player is unavailable / injured. Meet regularly with coaches and PPMN MDT to update on player status.
- Liaise with club medical staff throughout the season to ensure an ongoing understanding of players medical status, with an in depth understanding of any ongoing issues. Share this information as appropriate with the Performance MDT/coach/team operations.
- Attendance and contribution to annual planning, camp planning, camp review, selection and talent management processes
- Develop close working relationships with peers in professional clubs to enable collaborative and aligned management of international players, as well as driving Individual player development plans. Aim to build deep connections with the clubs to help to inspire, empower and develop players to maximise their availability by generating a deeper understanding about the physical attributes and behaviours required to succeed as an International Footballer
- Contribute to the development of projects aimed at supporting winning England Teams. Lead on a specific project with the aim of to develop and further improve the Performance Medicine service across the whole department. There is a clear focus on gaining performance insights on player from the data we collect to support the management of players on camp and the talent ID process. Key projects include;
- Senior England Men's Team Tournament projects
- Injury management and profiling
- Injury and Illness Surveillance study
- Wellness & Exposure
- Mandated screening and player educations
- Health & Wellbeing
- Performance insights data projects.
- There is opportunity for funding for post graduate qualifications to support both individual and department development.
- Attendance and contribution to FA PPMN CPD/training days throughout the year
- Execute additional tasks as required in order to meet FA Group changing priorities.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures to ensure the highest standards of health, safety and wellbeing can be maintained.
- As part of The FA's commitment to ensuring a safe environment for everyone in football, every employee will be required to complete a DBS check. The level of the check required will be based on the activity of the specific job role and in line with legislation and government guidance, the successful candidate will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check.
- Chartered physiotherapist. Registered with the HCPC
- Post graduate qualifications in Sport's Medicine (or working towards a similar qualification)
- Extensive evidence of CPD in sports Medicine
- Over 2 years' experience in full time professional sport
- Excellent academic and applied knowledge of contemporary practice in Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Advanced Emergency Pitchside Care Qualification (ATMMiF or equivalent)
- Track record of successfully integrating into established and developing coaching teams
- Excellent planning and communication skills with experience participating in multi-disciplinary teams.
In addition, candidates would ideally possess the following:
- Experience traveling abroad with teams
- Experience in International or Club Football
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary teams
You will also demonstrate strong written and verbal communication skills and an ability to work closely with internal and external stakeholders. You will display behaviours to maintain and enhance good relationships which will help develop The FA's positive professional profile across the business and wider industry.
If you believe you have what it takes to make a difference to England Team success, please get in touch and apply via 'Apply Now'.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Angela Fitzgerald (Physical Performance, Medicine and Nutrition Business Support) at [email protected] who will arrange for you to speak to a senior member of the medical team.
The Football Association Group promotes inclusion and diversity, and welcomes applications from everyone. If you have any particular requirements in respect of the recruitment or interview process please mention this in your application.
and come back later!