This is an exciting opportunity for an innovative and driven individual to join the Finance team. The post holder will liaise with staff at all levels within SSP and across the University and provide a helpful and courteous service providing information as required, to ensure that an efficient service is provided. The post holder will advise on the implementation and adherence to financial and general policies.
The post holder will have specific responsibility for the provision of finance transaction services, and management accounting information to inform fact-based decision making This will include leading the identification of ways of making the above processes more efficient and effective, and inputting into the accurate forecasting of both income and expenditure. The post holder leads the SSP finance transactions team, providing financial support to the business. The role will be responsible for processing of invoices (payment and receipts), cash handling, debt collection and bank reconciliations. To support business area managers in the monthly process and analysis of monthly transactions for all areas. To assist with proactive reporting to enable informed business decisions to be made.
In addition the post holder will be responsible for supporting the Head of Finance in the provision of management accounting and financial reports on SSP, to include forecasting and analysis to inform and maximise SSP’s financial position.
In return we offer a generous pension, 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays), hybrid working, free access to world-class leisure facilities, a range of travel schemes and supportive family friendly benefits including an excellent on-site nursery.
Surrey Sports Park is at the heart of sport and physical activity in Surrey, and our mission is to deliver the best possible sport, health and wellbeing experience to our University of Surrey students and to the wider SSP community. We provide strategic added value to the University by delivering an outstanding student experience through social and competitive sport and providing an excellent environment for wellness and fitness for Surrey staff and students, and our community impact is significant both culturally and physically.
Problem Solving, Accountability and Dimensions of the role
. The post holder will:
- Work in a proactive and independent manner, organising and prioritising their work within agreed standards and deadlines set by the Head of Finance or their nominee, as well as any relevant departmentally set protocols. They will take responsibility for defining their priorities clearly in terms of work and schedules to ensure that key deadlines and objectives are met. The post holder is also responsible for planning and organising the workload of their team, in order to ensure the provision of a professional service. The work will on occasion involve encountering changing priorities and differing situations, which require proactive management. All aspects of the role will require demonstrable high levels of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ensure the consistency and quality of the support delivered to SSPL, the post holder will normally work within well-established documented administrative and financial processes, procedures and regulations. They must pay particular attention to detail, as they are responsible, for example, adhering to monthly timetables to produce monthly reports for senior management on their areas with regard to all data being processed on time.
- Be responsible for ensuring controls are in place to review transaction related policy and procedure against required service levels and the changing environment and making recommendations for amendments. Where recommendations are accepted, they will ensure implementation of the resulting changes. A detailed knowledge and understanding of the finance system, policies and work practices will be required to enable the post holder to offer advice and guidance to colleagues.
- Maximise service quality, efficiency and continuity across all transactional areas. He / she will undertake detailed analysis of transactional and standing data relating to customers and suppliers, which will help assess complex situations and lead to improvements in policy and procedure and provide solutions to issues where they may not be obvious. They will be expected to identify gaps or shortfalls in levels of support provided by their section and rectify these by working with internal and external stakeholders to find and implement solutions. Where more complex or unprecedented issues are evidenced, there is scope to refer to senior management for advice and guidance.
Within the scope of the role the post holder will be presented with a variety of financial-related and administrative issues, where the most appropriate course of action will be a matter of choice, influenced by best practice. In other instances work actions are very well defined procedurally and the post holder is able
- to reference and apply established policies and procedures, in order to determine a suitable course of action/outcome. The post holder may occasionally experience more unusual queries or issues, such as franchise or contract issues where there is no formal guidance. In these cases, the post holder is required to apply their judgement, to determine an appropriate course of action; or where resolution is not straightforward to refer the matter to the Head of Finance for guidance/resolution. The post holder is expected to take a pro-active approach to their work and is encouraged to make suggestions for improvements to working methods, implementing them with the approval of their line manager.
- The role involves team management, financial processing, monitoring financial elements of contracts and franchises, and senior management support across the wide range of diverse activities undertaken by SSP. This will require continuous planning and organising to cover essential monthly tasks whilst ensuring support is also available at peak times for specific events/activities.
- The post holder will work largely to agreed priorities, determined either by the procedures to be followed and the deadlines incorporated within them or as directed by their line manager. However, they will have some scope to determine short term priorities and vary their day to day priorities to react to changes in the work routine.
This role impacts the whole of SSP and the efficiency of the services provided.
How to Apply
Please click 'Apply Now' to begin the application process.
If you would like to discuss this role further, please contact Levashnee Raman at [email protected]
The supporting statement section should set out how your qualifications, experience and training meet each of the selection criteria. Please provide one or more paragraphs addressing each criterion. The supporting statement is an essential part of the selection process and thus a failure to provide this information will mean that the application will not be considered. An answer to any of the criteria such as "please see attached CV" will not be considered acceptable. CVs cannot be accepted without a completed application form.
and come back later!