The purpose of the Olympic Operations Officer is to provide World Class administrative support to organise and implement the RYA’s Olympic Programme – the British Sailing Team (BST) and British Sailing Squad (BSS).
- The Olympic Operations Officer works with the Performance Director, Olympic Operations Manager, one Olympic Operations Coordinator based in Hamble and a part time Coordinator based in Portland (Dorset), coaches, and a team of sports science/ medicine and technical staff based in Portland.
- The Olympic Operations Officer liaises with BST & BSS sailors, UK and overseas training and regatta venues, ferry and travel companies.
- The Olympic Operations Officer works closely with the Head of World Class Programme Support, Performance Pathway Officer, Racing Department Resources Administrator, staff at RYA Portland House & BST Performance Unit (Portland) and the RYA Boat Store (Hedge End).
- There are around 50 to 60 sailors in the BST, 15 to 30 sailors in the BSS, and 15 to 20 coaches plus associated support staff.
- The RYA must continue to provide the best coaching and support system to the BST in order to remain as the No.1 Olympic sailing nation.
- As an Olympic Programme staff member there are expectations of setting high professional standards and outstanding attention to detail.
- The Olympic Operations staff are responsible for supporting UK-based training and international events and administering the programmes back-of-house operations, including invoicing and export paperwork. This requires strong administration skills, methodical working, and the ability to multi-task a high volume of work.
- In line with new working norms, the role is a combined office and home working role with the primary workplace being the RYA offices in Hamble. However, there is a regular need to attend meetings at the BST’s Portland training base or elsewhere outside the office. Consideration will be given to making the Portland base the primary workplace (if that is closer to the successful candidate’s home).
- The role is suited to someone with excellent people skills as it involves working alongside and balancing the requirements of a wide group of people, such as athletes, coaches and sport scientists.
- Investigate and organise the event logistics, including travel (flights, ferry bookings), accommodation, event entries, RIBs, vans for UK and overseas training and competition for the coaches and support staff. Book training venues as required.
- Prepare venue and logistic guides for overseas training and competitions.
- Work closely with the Racing Department Resource Administrator to book RYA resources for the Olympic Programme (including vehicles/vans, boats and trailers). Coordinate bookings with appropriate staff across the organisation to ensure the most effective use of resources.
- Prepare paperwork and organise carnets for temporary import/export of equipment to Europe.
- Support the Olympic Operations Manager with international shipping and related freight movements.
- Maintain and track detailed budgets for activity.
- Check, code and process invoices from coaches, support staff and others.
- Ensure transactions on the corporate credit card are recorded, signed off and coded online each month.
- Maintain records of coach, staff and athlete qualifications and administrative details
- Maintain, coordinate, update and circulate Operations Manuals for internal and external stakeholders (sailors, coaches, support staff etc)
- Carry out inductions for new sailors, coaches or staff members.
- Support with arrangements for annual team camps and dinner.
- Support the Olympic Operations Manager with preparations for the Paris 2024 and LA 2028 Olympic Games sites which will require overseas travel.
- Support the Olympic Operations Manager with administration related to Olympic Games teams.
- Complete other tasks as may reasonably be required from time to time.
How to Apply
Please click "Apply Now” to send a completed an Application Form and Equality Monitoring Form to the Royal Yachting Association.
Full Job description and Person Specification available here.
and come back later!