To assist with the planning and implementation of a coaching programme for the appointed squads in NTU Tennis club to allow them to compete to the best of their abilities in the BUCS weekly fixture programme, and lead elements of coaching sessions.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
The role will encompass all of the following, but the balance of duties and responsibilities will be determined in discussion with the post holder’s line manager:
- To assist with the planning, implementation and delivery of elements of an effective coaching programme for NTU Tennis club, allowing student-athletes to perform to the best of their abilities. This is to include both group and individual technical and tactical coaching, and the creation of programmes for pre-season, in- season and off-season.
- To assist the Head Coach – Tennis in ensuring that squads are receiving appropriate and relevant access to NTU’s range of support services (where available), including sport science, strength and conditioning, performance analysis and physiotherapy, liaising with all partners on a regular basis.
- To assist the Head Coach – Tennis and club committees in developing and implementing a talent identification system, including an effective trials/introductory session process.
- Work in partnership with other NTU Sport staff members and club committee(s) to ensure optimal development of the sport at the university.
- Work with other NTU sports coaches to share best practice and information and make recommendations for wider service improvements.
- To contribute towards education, training and research initiatives.
- To update the sports development team via team briefings and written reports on business undertaken and developments proposed.
- To support a collaborative team-working environment
N.B. The post-holder may be required to undertake any other duties which may reasonably be required as within the nature of the duties and responsibilities of the post as defined, subject to the proviso that normally any changes of a permanent nature shall be incorporated into the job description in specific terms.
- An understanding the demands on students within higher education
- An understanding of coaching styles and practical delivery, of both technical and tactical elements of the game.
- Understanding of the BUCS league programme and structure of student sport (in particular in higher education)
- An understanding of Long Term Athlete Development.
- An understanding of sport science and needs of performance athletes (in particular in higher education).
- A knowledge of performance indicators and their effective application.
- Ability to evaluate player performance and
- Ability to plan and deliver coaching sessions
- provide feedback.
- Good interpersonal skills: leadership, team work, adaptability, understanding others & negotiation.
- Good self-management skills: actively reflect on learning, autonomy, self-awareness, action planning, time management & initiative.
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer.
- Ability to manage people and programmes and to ensure delivery against objectives.
- Ability to demonstrate experience of coaching roles with the sport.
- Experience of working as part of an inter- disciplinary performance enhancement team
- Performance sport within the higher education environment.
- Working within a student environment and understanding its demands.
- Educated to A-Levels (or equivalent)
- Level 2 Coaching qualification (or equivalent)
- An up to date First Aid certificate.
Leads aspects of team work, seeking and implementing improvements to the team’s outputs/service and developing colleagues within the team. Challenges colleagues.
- Communicating and Influencing (Level 1)
Communicates effectively with a wide range of diverse internal and external stakeholders, influencing and negotiating change. Networks internally to keep ahead of developments.
- Making informed decisions (Level 1)
Uses analyses, reports and data to test the validity of options and assess risk before taking decisions. Ensures optimum decisions are taken.
Works to identify customer needs. Seeks feedback and develops service delivery accordingly
Influences and develops ideas to enhance customer satisfaction
- Organisation and delivery (Level 1)
Plans time taking account of organisational priorities and other colleagues’ work roles to achieve results
Responds positively to change, supporting others in managing transition and being flexible in approaches to job role. Is aware of own strengths and areas for development. Seeks feedback on own work
How to Apply
Please click "Apply Now” to begin the online application process
Full Job description and Person Specification available here.
and come back later!