- Evaluate and monitor all First Team players’ physical capabilities through a variety of testing
- Design and deliver effective individualised strength and conditioning programmes aimed at developing physical capacities, skills, and durability. These should include using appropriate periodised plans, modalities, loading and injury prevention strategies.
- Design and deliver regeneration interventions and monitoring strategies which promote the best opportunity for players to recover optimally using scientifically robust recovery sessions.
- Design and implement Return To Train/Perform/Play and Injury Prevention programmes.
- Work closely with the Medical Department to plan and deliver individualised pre-training preparation sessions to all First Team players
- Regularly liaise with the Medical Department regarding injured players and assist with endstage rehabilitation programmes.
- Deliver extra pitch-based sessions for non-squad players.
- Assist with team training session warm-ups and conditioning runs.
- Provide assistance on match days to players’ pre-match, during and post-match.
- Manage, review and report to the Management team on all physical training and match data, using the results to continuously improve the physical development programme to reduce risk of injury and ensure players are physically prepared to perform.
- Work with and support the Academy Strength & Conditioning department to create continuity and consistency of message and alignment with the First Team
- Design, detail and deliver appropriate levels of CPD to improve and progress the Sports Science department throughout the Club.
- Ensure the department processes are efficient, robust, and aligned throughout the Club.
- Drive department progression by continually researching new and innovative processes that improve athletic development.
- Promote a positive, motivated, winning culture by driving standards of performance both on the field of play, in the off-the-field activities and in everyday lifestyle.
- Attendance at relevant team meetings and active inclusion in all discussions
- Deliver the sports science programme to the highest standard possible, to benefit the individual, group, and team.
- Plan appropriate testing with the Head of Medical and performance team. These should be performed at appropriate intervals throughout the season. This is to include fitness testing, strength testing, physiological assessment, readiness to train and anthropometric measures.
- Monitoring of training sessions using RPE and duration to monitor and analyse training sessions intensities and load values.
- Assessment, monitoring and analysis of player data in relation to physical and physiological aspects of performance.
- To set, document and communicate players’ physical targets, in conjunction with the physiotherapy staff.
- To write training programs addressing individual player’s needs based on analysis of test results.
- Design and delivery of activation/preparation sessions for individuals/groups/teams.
- Ensure players are prepared physiologically for training/matches and structured session appropriate warm-ups to ensure that players can perform to their maximum and limit the opportunity for injury occurrence.
- Delivery of strength and power sessions as set out in discussion with the performance team.
- Design and delivery of recovery and regeneration strategies as appropriate.
- Ensure hydration and nutritional protocols are designed and delivered as appropriate to the individual/team.
- Support players in their understanding of lifestyle choices and in educating them on the role of sports science in supporting their performances.
- Maintenance of a contemporary and appropriate database of all sports science information, which allows reporting on individuals/group/team information.
- Provide timely feedback to players/staff as is relevant.
- Provide daily/weekly/monthly/annual reports on areas of sports science support as required.
- Assist with the design and dissemination of close-season programmes for players.
- Maintenance and care of all sports science and S&C equipment.
- Ensure that all relevant spend/service requirement is in line with department budget and preauthorised by the General Manager
- Any other reasonable request by the Club Knowledge
Skills and Experience
- Degree in Sports Science or related discipline
- FA Safeguarding qualification
- FA First Aid for Sport
- DBS Clearance
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of injury prevention and long-term athletic development.
- Excellent computer literacy, specifically in the use of Excel.
- Understanding of safeguarding, health and safety policies and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of internal and external load monitoring, including GPS and heart rate monitoring.
- Forward thinking mindset to developing the department and programme.
- Experience within a long-term athlete development programme.
- Experience within an elite sporting environment.
- Understanding of the Elite Player Performance Plan and the PMA application
- Evidence of longitudinal strength and conditioning programmes for individuals and groups.
- Proven track record of developing athletes.
- Demonstrate the ability to mix with different departments effectively communicating and distributing information.
- Hard working
- Evidence of a commitment to individual professional development
- Flexibility with working hours required to meet demands of the role.
- To ensure that you take personal responsibility in reporting any safeguarding concerns to the Club safeguarding officer.
- Ensure that you behave responsibly, in a professional manner which will not abuse your position of Trust.
Diversity and Equality
- To be responsible for your own behaviour and act in a manner that avoids and discourages and
form of discrimination or harassment, and to comply with Newport County AFC’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Health & Safety
- To take responsibility for your own health, safety, and welfare, ensuring compliance with
Newport County AFC’s Health & Safety Policy, procedures, and safe systems of work.
- To take responsibility for the protection of personal data and confidential information, ensuring
compliance with General Data Protection Regulations and Newport County AFC’s Data Protection
Training & Development
- To undertake all reasonable training, learning and development activity designed to support you
in your role.
Newport County AFC is committed to safeguarding the welfare of children, young people and
vulnerable adults, and expects all staff and volunteers to endorse this commitment.
This post requires Enhanced Criminal Records Checks and may include checks against the Barred
Lists, as such it is exempt from Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (1974). Therefore, all convictions
including spent convictions that have not been subject to filtering by the DBS should be declared.
Relevant information and/or documents will be distributed as part of the recruitment process.
Equality & Diversity Statement
Newport County AFC are seeking to diversify our workforce in particular by ethnicity, gender and
sexual orientation and would encourage applications from these demographics.
Newport County AFC is committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive community – a place where
we can all be ourselves. We will support staff from different backgrounds to create the best
environment for us all to prosper together.
How to Apply
Please click “Apply Now” to send your CV and covering letter to Kelly Anderson by email.
and come back later!