A fantastic opportunity has become available in our Composite Design Working Group for a talented and innovative Composite Design Engineer. Reporting to a Lead Composite Design Engineer, the successful candidate will work on a variety of carbon composite car parts for our F1 racing car. You must be comfortable challenging yourself and others with respect and passion to drive our projects forward whilst striving to achieve the best possible results. You will exhibit a strong understanding of composites design and their applications with a solid first principles understanding.
- Working closely with Aerodynamicists, Structural Engineers, and other engineering departments you will produce optimised designs to achieve the highest levels of performance and reliability.
- Understand and drive cost effective design solutions.
- Close collaboration with internal and external manufacturing departments to ensure fully integrated designs achieving optimal car performance.
- Generating 3D models, Assemblies and 2D drawings including the definition and documentation of manufacturing information (including ply book & CPD data generation).
- Specification of composite NDT procedures and results analysis, ensuring reliability of parts assemblies throughout part life cycle.
- Support in the definition of performance and reliability test & development programs for relevant designs & projects.
- Management of assigned designs and systems throughout component life cycle and in support of the team’s reliability function.
- Composite, mechanical, automotive or aeronautical degree (2:1 minimum grade) or similar qualification.
- Strong Composite design experience with good understanding of materials and manufacturing techniques.
- Experience in Composite design in F1 or another top-level motorsport category is an advantage.
- Experience of Catia V5/3DX composite and surfacing design package would be beneficial.
- Use of finite element analysis tools (ideally with Catia V5/3DX package) and hand calculation methodologies to produce reliable and optimised designs is a significant benefit.
- Excellent communication and collaborative skills to ensure cross departmental integration.
- High attention to detail and the ability to work under limited supervision to tight deadlines.
What the Role will offer
- Working in an exciting fast-paced environment you will have the opportunity to learn, develop, and contribute to the success of the Team.
- Supported by a Team with a great range of experience and depth of knowledge, you will turn bright ideas into the next performance advantage.
- Opportunity to witness your ideas & designs progress through our industry leading Manufacturing and Testing facilities.
- In return for your work and commitment, we offer a competitive package including bonus, life assurance, private medical cover, car lease scheme, 25 days holidays, subsidised restaurant and on-site gym facilities.
How to Apply
To apply for this role at Mercedes, please click 'Apply Now' to begin completing the application.
Applications for this role close on 29th June 2022
Recruitment Privacy Notice
When you apply for or are referred for a role with Mercedes-Benz Grand Prix Limited (company number 00787446) (“MBGP”) your personal data will be processed by MBGP, who are the data controller. This privacy notice explains what MBGP will do with your personal data when provided or collected in connection with MBGP’s recruitment processes.
and come back later!