Manchester City’s Performance Services aim is to create engaging performance environments that maximise team and individual potential. This post will contribute to MCWFC success by leading the provision of Performance Lifestyle and Wellbeing support to MCWFC players & staff. The purpose of the role is to support the wellbeing, personal, and professional development of individuals as they transition into, through, and out of the club.
The Performance Lifestyle & Wellbeing Coach will be expected to collaborate with the wider Performance MDT to maximise the psychosocial development of players holistically to support more resilient players that make good decisions under pressure and are able to adapt to change.
Role specific accountabilities:
- Lead the development, delivery, and review of a programme of performance lifestyle and wellbeing support to MCWFC players aligned to the Performance Services Strategy. This should include player profiling, wellbeing & mental health, education & career planning guidance, personal/professional development, and transitions.
- Working in partnership with Performance Psychology in the development of wellbeing & mental health initiatives for players and staff in contributing to the ongoing development of a Psychologically informed Environment that challenges and supports people to be the best version of themselves.
- Develop processes that support player transitions into, through and out of the club, including onboarding new signings, progression of young players into senior football, and players retiring from the game
- Ensure identified players receive timely and appropriate support in developing a performance focussed approach to planning and managing their non-football commitments in pursuit of a performance focussed lifestyle
- Develop strong trusting relationships to enable work on a 1:1 basis with players in a coaching & mentoring style to support resourceful personal development that supports resilience, adaptability, and ability to cope with pressure.
- Develop & deliver a curriculum of workshop support that ensures players become highly developed in a range of areas that will support their careers as Elite professional footballers (including time management, social media, finance, dealing with agents/intermediaries, discipline, etc).
- Working collaboratively with the wider MDT, provide specific coaching/mentoring support to players undergoing rehabilitation from long term injuries to ensure player lifestyle management is optimised to achieve a successful return to performance
- Work closely with key stakeholders to ensure Academy staff can implement key strategies to support player wellbeing and personal development, and that specific players have the required needs-led support.
- Work in collaboration with the MCWFC Sport Psychologist, Doctor, and Safeguarding officer as a panel member on the MCWFC Mental Health Panel appraising risk and taking appropriate action as required following the MCWFC ‘City Pass’ processes
Role specific knowledge, skills and experience:
- A recognised undergraduate qualification in Psychology, Sports Science, Sports Management, Education, or related area
- Level 7 Qualification in Coaching & Mentoring
- Significant experience working in an elite sporting environment.
- Extensive experience of working effectively within a high-performing interdisciplinary team.
- Previous experience working with elite female athletes/in Women’s sport.
- Experience working in elite professional football.
- Experience in teaching, facilitation or workshop delivery to individuals and groups.
- Mental Health Training/certification
- Counselling qualification
- Proven experience of providing personal support and career guidance to athletes.
- Relevant line management/mentoring experience
City Football Group promotes equal opportunities in employment and we positively welcome applications from all candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.
We will screen all applicants and select candidates whose skills and experience seem to meet our needs. We will carefully consider your application during the initial screening and will contact you only if you are selected for an interview.
Employment is subject to the provision of proof of eligibility to work in the UK.
Due to our safeguarding promise, all UK based CFG roles will be subject to a DBS check upon commencing employment with us. This will be either a basic, standard or enhanced check depending on the job role and responsibilities.
If you have any further questions about the role or your application, please contact [email protected]
and come back later!