Man City’s Performance Analysis and Insights strategy aims to continually create innovative and actionable insights that drive world-leading team and player development decisions to help the Women’s 1st Team consistently challenge for major trophies. The role will provide team leadership, line management, coordination, and mentoring for MCWFC Performance Analysis department. The role will also contribute to MCWFC 1st Team success by driving actionable insights from video and performance data to support coach and practitioner decision making to positively impact training, performance, and individual player development.
The Performance Analysis & Insights Lead will be required to develop, in conjunction with the coaching and SMT, a clear and measurable MCWFC playing model. The Lead analyst must be able to disseminate insights from objective data relating to these key principles of play to players and staff. They will be a key person in ensuring the ongoing development of the team and individuals in competing for major trophies playing beautiful football.
Role specific knowledge, skills and experience:
- Undergraduate qualification in Sports Science, Performance Analysis or a related area.
Role specific accountabilities:
- Lead & manage the ongoing development, implementation, and review of Performance Analysis & Insights provision to MCWFC in line with the MCWFC Performance Services Strategy.
- Lead & line manage the MCWFC Performance Analysis & Insights practitioners to ensure club-wide alignment to the Performance Services Strategy.
- Work closely with the Head of Performance Services (MWCFC), MCFC Football Intelligence, and the wider MCFC Performance Analysis Senior Leadership Team to ensure the continued development of WITTW & WITTD models for the MCWFC 1st Team & Girl’s Academy.
- Be part of the MCFC Performance Analysis Senior Leadership Team and contribute to the Strategic Plan of the Performance Analysis department across all MCFC teams.
- Where appropriate collaborate with other members of the wider MCFC Performance Analysis department and understand what best practice looks like across all the teams.
- Lead & oversee match-day performance analysis provision to ensure that actionable insights are delivered to coaches & players as required, and that performance is monitored on an ongoing basis.
- Provide innovative and actionable insights that inform ongoing Plan-Do-Review processes on a Team, Unit, and Individual level on an ongoing basis.
- Working collaboratively with wider MCWFC staff, lead the development and utilisation of player positional profiles to provide actionable insights that objectively support individual player development.
- Lead on/support ad hoc projects, queries, and analysis requests from coaches, players and practitioners as delegated by your line manager
Essential Skills & Experience
- Extensive experience in an elite sporting environment as a performance analyst (Preferably elite football)
- Experienced using performance analysis related software (SportsCode, Hudl etc)
- Capability to facilitate conversations with video and data visualisation and engage people from a range of backgrounds with novel / actionable insights.
- High level ability to utilise performance analysis methods (visual/data) to analyse and understand football tactics
- Track record of building effective working relationships with coaches, players, and practitioners from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Significant experience in a performance analysis role identifying and communicating actionable insights.
- Experience of working with sports performance related data either in previous employment or as a hobby.
- Flexibility and openness to work irregular and unsociable hours outside of ‘normal’ office hours following a senior 1st team schedule (evenings, weekends, and bank holidays)
- Master’s level (or equivalent) qualification in Performance Analysis or a related area.
- Previous experience in elite professional football
- Competent using a visual analytics tool such as Tableau, QlikSense or Power BI.
- ‘UEFA B’ Licence or above football coaching qualification
- Some year’s experience as a line manager/analysis department lead
and come back later!