Summary of Role:
We currently have an opportunity for a Safety Officer to join our team based at our fabulous Stadium on Elland Road, Leeds. This is a great opportunity for driven individuals who relish a challenge and are driven to succeed in a fast and innovative environment.
The role is diverse from working match days, concerts, conferences, events, meetings and dinners working with customers and clients. To ensure, as far as is reasonably practicable, the safety and security of everyone attending all events at the Stadium in accordance with the General Safety Certificate and the Club's Spectator Safety Policy. The postholder shall have no other duties on a match day, other than those involved in the execution of Head of Matchday Safety and Security.
Main Job Responsibilities:
- Whilst members of the public are in the stadium during an event, the Job Holder will ensure that the Company's policy and procedures relating to safety are followed throughout such period and will respond as they see fit (where appropriate after reference to Police or other emergency services) to any incidents, contingencies or emergencies which may arise.
- The Job Holder will be responsible for the recruitment, selection, employment, training and deployment of stewards and for the upkeep of appropriate records. The operational control of all stewards will remain with the Job Holder at all times and be affected through the Deputy Safety Officers, Chief Stewards and Stand Managers.
- The Job Holder will maintain good communications with the Senior Management team and other employees of the Company as may be necessary to ensure early attention is given to the maintenance and repair of structures and equipment and to all other matters bearing upon spectator safety.
- The Job Holder will ensure that the Company engage with the Licensing Authority, Safety Advisory Group, Police, Fire and Ambulance Services and any other body in relation to safety at the ground.
- The Job Holder may also be required to perform other duties by or under the authority of the Management Team /Manager as may be from time to time reasonably assigned.
- Develop and keep under review the Leeds United Operational documents and policies.
- Bring to the attention of the Safety Certificate Holder in writing any matters which it is felt would lead to an improvement of spectator safety.
- Produce and keep under review a steward's manual outlining their duties in both normal and emergency situations.
- Total responsibility for stewards, including recruitment, training and deployment. This requires that having assessed strengths needed for a new season, all attend briefings, have written instructions and are aware of their duties.
- Responsibility for ensuring that sufficient trained first aid personnel are present.
- The security of the stadium has been assessed and contingencies planned for highlighted threats from the CTSA
- Liaise with traffic management companies to ensure that arrival and dispersal of fans is safe.
- Ensure that companies contracted through the services required to maintain the safety certificate have been monitored effectively and any issues addressed.
- Maintain and manage the spectator code of conduct and ensure all suspensions and bans are administered effectively
- To liaise with Football Authorities to ensure delivery of the matchday operation meets their standards and criteria.
- The Job Holder will be required to work first team home matches.
- The Job Holder will be required to work any additional matches / events that are staged at Elland Road where the general public are present within the stadium bowl.
- The Job Holder must keep up to date with new methods and undertake any necessary internal or external training sessions in accordance with Company Procedures/ Policy .
- The Job Holder has a statutory duty to observe all health and safety rules and take all reasonable care to promote the health and safety at work of themselves and their fellow employees.
- The Job Holder must report any health and safety issues immediately to their Line Manager in writing.
Within the 2 days immediately preceding an event the Safety Officer will ensure:
- That any defects reported at the previous match have been rectified.
- That the public address, loud hailers, firefighting equipment, fire detection and warning, emergency lighting, communications and computerised counting systems (with mechanical back-up) are all tested and any faults reported are rectified.
- Review the physical inspection of the ground that there are no hazards to spectators.
Responsibilities Before Each Event:
The Job Holder will ensure:
- That there are sufficient trained stewards available, including fire stewards to staff all positions prescribed in the General Safety Certificate including all exit and perimeter gates.
- That all stewards on duty attend the briefing, have written instructions and are aware of their duties and what is expected of them during the event.
- That sufficient trained stewards are in position to monitor and prevent overcrowding of spectators in any area within the ground.
- That all stewards on duty are aware of the line of communication, the emergency evacuation procedure and of their positions and duties to effect a safe and orderly evacuation of supporters in the event of an emergency.
- That the Senior Police Officer in the ground is aware of the number and dispositions of stewards to enable a reassessment of the deployment of any Police present.
- That there are no materials, which could be used as missiles.
- That all entrance and exit routes are clear of obstructions and all surfaces are sound.
- That all exit gates are functioning correctly, open easily and are unobstructed.
- That ground regulations are displayed at all entrances and all exit and directional signs are in place, in good condition and illuminate (where appropriate).
- That a sufficient number of trained first aid personnel are present and that the first aid equipment and materials are in order .
How to Apply
Please upload a CV and cover letter to Lynsey via 'apply now'
and come back later!