The Legal team works across all areas of the business, providing legal advice and seeking to ensure that integrity and best practice procedures are in place.
The Lawyer supports the Senior Lawyer and the Head of Legal with the delivery of timely and effective legal advice to the LTA, including in relation to commercial contracts, data protection, property, dispute resolution, intellectual property, employment, corporate governance, sports discipline, safeguarding, and regulation and governance of tennis.
- Lead on the fulfilment of data subject access requests, including liaison with internal business teams and external lawyers
- Lead on providing legal advice on data erasure (and related) requests
- Provide legal advice to LTA business teams to ensure that they comply with the requirements of legislation relating to data protection, including e-privacy, cookies and data retention
- Support the Senior Lawyer and the Head of Legal in providing legal advice and assistance to colleagues across the LTA business on a wide range of legal issues where required (for example: commercial contracts, data protection, property, dispute resolution, intellectual property, employment, corporate governance, sports discipline, safeguarding, and regulation and governance of tennis) and advise the business on compliance with its legal requirements
- Assess contentious and non-contentious issues to assist the Senior Lawyer and the Head of Legal in deciding on the appropriate course of action and take such action as directed (including, where applicable, seeking external legal advice)
- In consultation with the Senior Lawyer and Head of Legal, carry out or supervise the carrying out of the investigation of disciplinary cases
- Support the Case Officer and Legal Team Support in the administration and investigation of disciplinary cases
- Assist, as and when required, with advice on the governing documentation (articles of association and rules) of the LTA, regulatory documentation of the LTA and other aspects of corporate governance as requested by the Senior Lawyer or the Head of Legal
- Monitor, research and analyse implications of legislation, case law and regulatory matters that might affect the business and report back to the Senior Lawyer and Head of Legal
- Deputise for the Senior Lawyer when appropriate on delegated tasks
- Deal with all communication and correspondence in a professional, courteous and timely manner by responding personally and forwarding to colleagues as appropriate to ensure a timely response
- Liaise effectively and confidently with colleagues at all levels of the LTA and externally
- Build, manage and maintain strong inter-departmental relationships and communication within the organisation and work in partnership with other team members
- Instruct external legal advisors when requested or authorised to do so by the Senior Lawyer or the Head of Legal
- Be an ambassador for British tennis both internally and externally, communicating and promoting the vision and mission of the LTA
- Make suggestions to improve the working situation within or efficiency of own area of work and the LTA as a whole
- Demonstrable and relevant experience in the areas of law set out above
- Demonstrable and relevant experience of working within an in-house legal team in the sports sector or for a sport-related organisation
- Relevant experience of sports disciplinary tribunals or other disciplinary investigative work
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Demonstrable exceptional personal communications skills with proven ability to build and maintain effective relationships and influence
- Experience of working in an environment where discretion and confidentiality are paramount
- Ability to establish credibility and influence quickly
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as on own, using initiative and being proactive in problem solving
- Ability to vary work patterns and prioritise tasks to meet the changing needs of the business as and when required
Knowledge, Training & Qualifications:
- Relevant and strong legal qualifications
- Hold a current, valid practising certificate and entitled to practice as a solicitor or barrister in Great Britain
- Educated to degree level
- Demonstrable knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, including data protection / privacy / e-communications legislation, and dealing with data subject access requests
- Demonstrable record of technical expertise in commercial and contract law both on a transactional and dispute resolution basis
- Excellent IT (Microsoft Office) skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
What we can offer you
We are proud of the range of benefits we can provide:
- Retail discounts from brands including Adidas, Dunlop, Crew Clothing, AMC & many more
- 25 days of annual leave
- Enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption, and shared parental leave
- Free use of our Gym, Tennis & Padel courts and access to various sporting clubs upon joining
- Priority access to our colleague ticket offers for all LTA Major Events, including Wimbledon
- Eligible to participate in the LTA Annual Bonus Scheme, subject to meeting the set criteria in force at the time (depending on your role)
- You will be eligible to receive life assurance cover up to the value of three times your basic annual salary (more depending on your role)
- Private Healthcare cover
- An Employee Assistance Programme that offers anonymous and confidential, emotional, and practical support 24/7 for you and your immediate family
- Pension (up to 10% contribution from employer)
- Cycle-to-Work scheme, eye care vouchers and season ticket loans
- Free parking & bike racks at the National Tennis Centre, plus electric vehicle charging points
- Staff lockers and discount on all food purchased at our Deuce Café
- Social activities all year round which encourage you to get to know your fellow colleagues
The LTA, through its vision “Tennis Opened up”, is committed to creating a diverse environment where all colleagues feel included and a strong sense of belonging. We are proud to actively invite applications from all candidates who meet the essential criteria and can work in the UK. We commit that everyone will receive equal consideration for employment irrespective of your ethnicity, religion, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, age, any disability, marital or civil partnership status, and pregnancy or maternity status.
The LTA Tennis Foundation is a new tennis charity that partners with brilliant people and organisations to improve lives through tennis. It shares the LTA’s vision of ‘Tennis Opened Up’, and it wants to use our sport to make a real difference to people across the whole country. All LTA colleagues have the chance to get involved with the LTA TF, with some directly involved in delivering and leading its work.
To truly deliver our vision of “Tennis Opened up”, we believe it is critical that the LTA plays our part in contributing to a healthier and more sustainable society. We want to grow tennis in Britain, but do so in a responsible way, protecting and supporting the environment and working with everyone in the sport to tackle our climate impacts. We are committed to ensuring a lasting future for tennis in Britain, and our Environmental Sustainability Plan sets out how we will do this.
How to Apply
To apply for this role please click 'Apply Now' to begin the application process.
and come back later!