Kimbolton School prides itself on its strong extra-curricular programme and all staff are expected to be involved in this element of school life.
Hockey is the major game for girls in the autumn term and for boys in the spring term. This exciting role provides the successful applicant with an opportunity to implement their own vision and make a significant impact on the participation, enjoyment and success for pupils involved through the game of Hockey.
We are seeking a well-qualified, adaptable, enthusiastic and supportive coach for our pupils from September 2022. The successful candidate would be expected to tailor their coaching techniques to the different teams and abilities, ensuring all players are challenged and provided with continuous opportunities for improvement. As a coach you will be expected to facilitate a full programme of enrichment opportunities and foster Kimbolton’s ethos of inclusivity, participation and the development of a well-rounded child.
Duties and Responsibilities
This variable hours role requires the Hockey Coach to support both the Head of Boys and Head of Girls Games with the provision of this sport and the potential to cover other sporting activities throughout the proposed calendar terms and more specifically to:
- Design and deliver Hockey games across both the Senior and Preparatory Schools.
- Assist the team managers in team selections, providing relevant knowledge and insight into the individual players.
- Manage and coach the teams for all home/away matches.
- Provide feedback from matches to both the teams and individuals.
- Collaborate with other coaches to achieve a consistent approach to coaching across the School.
- Progress individual players.
- Be fully involved in helping promote and encourage pupils to play Hockey.
- To understand and actively support the ethos of inclusion and participation among the pupils.
- Lead/assist purposeful and safe training sessions for teams and individuals. This could be at all levels and ages, in lessons and after-school practices, throughout both the Senior and
- Officiate and assist in the organisation of internal House competitions.
- Officiate and support teams representing the school in fixtures where required (hours may vary as a result)
- Plan and implement suitable development strategies where needed in collaboration with both the Head of Boys and Head of Girls Games.
- Be familiar with updated rules, regulations and officiating needs in order to train/cascade information to school team managers and pupils.
- Be familiar with Game specific directives and apply these to training and matches.
- Assist in the care, storage and use of specific Game related equipment.
- To provide a punctual and professional role model for young Games playing pupils to work with and develop their skills alongside.
- To write end of season reports for allocated pupils involved in teams.
- Facilitate in other sporting/games activities outside of the Hockey season.
- Promoting and acting at all times in accordance with the School’s policies, eg Safeguarding, Health and Safety and Equal Opportunities.
- Hold a current Hockey Coaching qualification
- First Aid qualified or a willingness to be trained
- Experience of coaching in a wide range of environments including Schools, Clubs and community settings.
- Excellent leadership skills, able to lead a large group, ranging in age from 7 upwards, with help from supporting coaches.
- Excellent communication skills and tactical knowledge.
- Excellent time-keeping and organisational skills.
- Ability to manage and organise a large group of players with varying abilities.
- Adaptable with transferable skills in order to coach other sporting/games activities.
How to Apply
Please click "Apply Now” to email a letter of application, together with the completed Application Form and Supplement to the Application Form to Kimbolton School.
Full Job description and Person Specification available here.
and come back later!