The IRFU is currently inviting applications for the position of IRFU Specialist Rehabilitation Physiotherapist.
The successful candidate will provide specialist rehabilitation services to players of national interest. Players will be from the national senior men’s and women’s team panel, the IRFU men’s and women’s 7s squads the national U20s squad and the National Talent Squad and any other players as requested by the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy. The role will also provide service to the Men’s National team when they are in competition or camp.
This position is being offered on a 2 year fixed term contract based at our High Performance Centre, National Sports Campus, Snugborough Road, Dublin 15.
The closing date for applications is strictly 2pm Wednesday 17th August 2022.
The IRFU is equal opportunities employer.
ROLE AND PURPOSE OF POSITION
The IRFU Specialist Rehabilitation Physiotherapist will provide specialist rehabilitation services to players of national interest. Players will be from the national senior men’s and women’s team panel, the IRFU men’s and women’s 7s squads the national U20s squad and the National Talent Squad and any other players as requested by the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy.
The Specialist Rehabilitation physiotherapist will also provide service to the Men’s National team when they are in competition or camp. The role will also involve working closely with the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy to develop and deliver the robustness programme.
Operational and functional: IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy
Delivery of specialist rehabilitation services to all players of national interest within the IRFU High Performance System including but not limited to:
- National senior men’s and women’s squads.
- National senior men’s and women’s 7s squads.
- National men’s U20s squad.
- National Talent Squad.
• BSc in physiotherapy or equivalent.
• A post-graduate qualification in sports or musculoskeletal physiotherapy.
• Membership of an appropriate regulatory body.
• Demonstrable specialist skills in the area of injury rehabilitation.
• A minimum of five years post graduate experience with elite sports people.
• Excellent proven professional staff management and record of delivery of educational programmes to professional medical staff.
• Programme development and delivery experience.
• Good organisational skills including record keeping.
• On-going maintenance of CPD as outlined by your regulatory body.
• Excellent communication skills.
• The ability to work well within a multidisciplinary high performance team environment.
• PhD in a sport science related area.
• Sports specific emergency pitch-side training.
• Physiotherapy experience in a professional rugby team environment.
• Full clean drivers licence.
• Excellent IT and organisational skills.
• Highly motivated with ability to work under his/her own direction to achieve performance targets within agreed timeframe.
• Ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team within a high performance environment.
• Proactive, flexible performance orientated approach.
• Proven capacity in performance leading medical education.
• Excellent communication skills with ability to oversee effective and efficient information flow between different high performance multidisciplinary teams.
• Proven medical staff management capability.
• Effective and efficient organisational skills.
• IT / Computer literate and competent.
• Understanding of and ability to maintain appropriate medical confidentiality.
• Ability to analyse complex medical problems and develop bespoke solutions.
• Deliver specialist rehabilitation service to players of national interest within the IRFU High Performance system.
• Deliver the specialist rehabilitation physiotherapy service to the National Men’s Senior squad for the period of the 6 Nations, Autumn Series, summer tours, national camps and Rugby World Cup.
• Deliver specialist physiotherapy support to the PPM Players as required outside of the above camps and competition.
• Report as appropriately to the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy, the National Team Lead Physiotherapist, The IRFU Medical and Performance Directors and National Men’s Head Coach on player injury and rehabilitation status.
• Support and work with the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy, national team lead physiotherapists the provincial lead physiotherapists in the delivery of specialist rehabilitation services when required.
• Contribute to the co-ordination, planning and delivery of Robustness and Rehabilitation programmes for players of national interest
• To work with the Provincial and National Medicine & Science teams (doctors, physiotherapists, Athletic Performance, Nutrition and other service providers) in the delivery of specialist rehabilitation to the IRFU High Performance system.
Reporting / Documentation
• Maintain up to date notes on the online player medical management system (TSO-Kitman at present).
• Report to the relevant National team lead physiotherapists and doctors, provincial lead doctors and physiotherapists on all matters relating to players’ injuries and progress.
• Complete written reports as required by the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy.
• Liaise with national and provincial team physiotherapists and doctors regarding the progress and on-going treatment of players.
• Communicate regularly with the National and provincial Medicine & Science team regarding any specialist physiotherapy issues related to player welfare or performance.
Multidisciplinary Team work / Working Relationships
• Build and maintain relations with National Team and Provincial Rugby staff (particularly in the areas of Medicine, physiotherapy and Athletic Performance) to ensure relationships of trust, respect, support and continuous and open communication exist.
• Build and maintain a relationship of trust and respect with the IRFU Medical Department ensuring continuous and open communication.
Education / CPD
• Take part in player education in consultation with relevant team Doctor and Fitness Staff on injury prevention, treatment and management.
• Be trained and updated in acute pitch side care, including spinal injury and cardiopulmonary resuscitation, in your capacity as a Physiotherapist;
• Keep up to date on recent research in sports physiotherapy and rugby related physiotherapy issues;
• Maintain and update your knowledge and practice of sports physiotherapy, to include participation in IRFU physiotherapy in-service meetings.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
• Agree and deliver performance related KPIs with the IRFU Head of Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy.
The salary for this role is up to €90,000 per annum depending on experience.
Our benefits include:
Respect - Excellence - Accountability - Integrity