Nature and scope:
The Rugby Football Union (RFU) is the national governing body for grassroots and elite rugby in England. Its purpose is to encourage rugby, and its values, to flourish across England. After undergoing a period of transformation and change, a new Strategy & Insights function was introduced to the organisation in August 2020. The remit of this function is to support the organisation to deliver the strategic plan – through delivery of data and insights to support decision making, strategic management of some of the organisations biggest projects and planning of activity required to deliver the strategic plan.
The role of Strategy & PMO Manager is threefold:
- To manage specific strategic projects from concept to close in line with the RFU’s project lifecycle.
- To provide a Project Management Office function which is an enabler to our strategic and operational projects, ensuring they have the right tools and templates to successfully deliver their objectives.
The principle accountabilities of the role will be as follows:
Strategic Project Management
- Manage strategic projects, ensuring on time and budget delivery of all project related activity throughout the project lifecycle.
- Support and up manage senior stakeholders in order to develop and deliver project objectives.
- Design detailed project plans, appropriate project governance, reporting mechanisms, risk tracking and mitigation and schedule and facilitate project meetings to deliver successful outcomes.
- Communicate internally with key members of the project team and senior leaders working on the project.
- Managing and analysing information, drawing conclusions and presenting it in an easily understood manner.
- Problem solving, evaluating and decision-making for ad-hoc project related tasks.
Project Management Office
- Mange the RFU’s project management office – dealing with project requests and advising on project set up to deliver the best results.
- Manage the continual improvement of the RFU’s project lifecycle, responding to feedback to ensure it remains fit for purpose within the organisation.
- Embed project management best practice within the organisation
- Oversee the activity of the RFU’s project management community
- Manage the timely and accurate reporting of information to relevant committees through collaboration with business wide project managers
- Actively collaborate with colleagues to contribute to the development and delivery of the current strategic, business and operational plans
- Act as an ambassador for, and promote the best interests of the RFU, including the promotion of the RFU core values and BACK culture.
- Undertake such other duties as may be required from time to time as are consistent with the responsibilities of the post and the needs of the organisation
The skills and attributes outlined in this description are not exhaustive and we welcome candidates who can bring different relevant experiences to the role
Qualifications, skills & experience:
- Degree level desirable.
- Strong project planning experience and ability to manage effectively within scope, timelines, budget and quality.
- Ability to lead or support in-house and third-party teams, communicate effectively with and influence business stakeholders.
- Experience of working collaboratively with senior members of staff.
- Advanced Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and proficiency with Smartsheet.
- Rounded business knowledge and a detailed understanding of the RFU is desirable.
Skills and Personal Attributes:
- Committed to driving forward inclusion in your role and day-to-day behaviours
- Strong excel and analytical skills
- Strong project management capabilities
- Strategic thinker who is able to influence and drive change
- Ability to work on several projects at once, prioritise and communicate priorities
- Influencing, consensus building, and sustaining relationships – with the ability to work collaboratively
- Enjoys working to tight deadlines or with short turnaround times
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust
- Excellent judgement and ability to think creatively to navigate through challenges and reach desired goals
- Excellent organisational skills, with an emphasis on managing priorities, forward planning and adopting a flexible approach
- All role holders must maintain an appropriate standard of confidentiality. Any disclosures of confidential information (including personal information kept on computer or other media) made unlawfully outside the proper course of duty will be treated as a serious disciplinary offence
- The role description, person specification, job level and job title may be subject to change at the discretion of the RFU and under business developments. Any changes will be communicated to the role holder as appropriate
- If you are a trans candidate applying for a job that requires a DBS check, please reach out to [email protected] or directly to our safeguarding team ([email protected]) to use the confidential sensitive application route. This will provide applicants with the choice not to have any gender or name information disclosed on their DBS certificate.
What we can offer you
We are proud of the range of benefits we can provide:
- Retail discounts include 30% off Adidas, 20% off Optimum Nutrition, 25% off 02 and many more.
- Priority access to purchase match tickets
- 25% discount in Rugby Store and EnglandRugby.com
- 25 days of annual leave and your birthday day off
- Free dental care and free access to the stadium gym
- Life assurance of 4x your basic salary, income protection scheme and Employee Assistance Programme that offers anonymous and confidential, emotional and practical support 24/7.
- After 3 months, you will be enrolled in our Aviva pension scheme and we will match and double your contribution up to 10%
- Ride-to-work scheme, eyecare vouchers and season ticket loans
How to Apply
To begin the application process, please click 'apply now'
and come back later!