We’re introducing this exciting role, responsible for leading selection of England cricket squads both home and abroad, as well as informing the selection of players for Central Contracts and the England Lions. You will be accountable for the selection of players and will play a key role in ensuring quality communication between the England Cricket Team and First Class Counties.
Who we are
The England and Wales Cricket Board is the national governing body for all cricket in England and Wales, supporting the game at every level – from grassroots to professional.
We believe cricket is a force for good that can have an enduring impact on everyone’s lives and we have an ambitious strategy to inspire a generation to say ‘cricket is a game for me’. It provides great entertainment. It teaches important skills, both physical and social. It can help inclusion and social cohesion, bringing communities together.
The ECB welcomes applications from all backgrounds to ensure we deliver our Inspiring Generations strategy and fulfil our purpose to connect communities and improve lives through cricket.
- Stronger As One Team – We are stronger together. We allow for individual strengths and beliefs but head in the same direction. We respect, support and really listen to each other along the way.
- Push New Boundaries – We are bold, brave and curious. We challenge and don’t settle. We forge the future whilst remembering our roots.
- Be The Best In The Game – On & Off The Pitch – We train hard. We strive to be our best to help the team be the best. We celebrate our victories and learn from our let downs.
- Passion For Play – We are here to inspire & be inspired. We are serious about what we do, but don’t take ourselves seriously. We enjoy the journey and have fun.
You'll love this job if
- You enjoy making decisions.
- You have the ability to think strategically about performance priorities.
- You’re a clear and articulate communicator.
- You have excellent media management skills.
- You respect confidentiality and act with discretion at all times.
You'll be doing
Selection and Player Identification:
- Convening meetings and managing the selection of the England Men’s squads across all formats.
- Supporting the selection of England teams throughout the year in all parts of the world as directed by the Managing Director England Cricket.
- Working with the Managing Director, Performance Director and Player Identification Lead to select Lions Squads that meet the future needs of the England Team.
- Working with the Player Identification Lead, directing all preparatory work leading into selection meetings.
- Working with the Player Identification Lead, overseeing the network of scouts to identify and monitor current and potential England and Lions players in all formats.
- Observing and reporting on players performing in County cricket, England pathway programmes and the England team, at home and overseas, assessing their current readiness and future potential.
Strategy and Stakeholder Management:
- Establishing appropriate policies / systems, in conjunction with the Managing Director and Performance Director, so that selection is tailored to best serve the long-term interests of the England Team in each format and provide each player with an appropriate balance between preparation, competition and rest.
- Periodically reviewing selection decisions as well as policies, processes and principles in conjunction with the Managing Director, England Cricket and the Performance Director to ensure evidence-based and data-driven decision making.
- Working with the Managing Director to inform selection of England Central Contracts.
- Working with the Performance Director, ensuring high quality communication with counties on all selection matters.
- Representing the views of the Selection Panel to media and other ECB stakeholders and liaising with the Communications department to prepare England squad announcements through press releases and/or press conferences.
- Significant professional experience and intimate knowledge of International and First Class Cricket including knowledge of emerging players and county networks.
- Demonstrable experience of informing talent identification through selecting players that have come through the pathway to either/both international success or county honours.
- A strong understanding of data and analytics within cricket and able to evidence how to make data-informed decisions.
- The ability to manage relationships with cricketers at International and County levels.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of talent development.
- Ability to travel extensively within UK and abroad.
- Experience of chairing meetings.
- A full clean driving license.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days’ holiday
- Private medical insurance
- Non-contributory 8% pension
- Life assurance
- Free on-site gym
How to Apply
Please click "Apply Now” to begin the online application process.
Full Job description and Person Specification available here.
and come back later!