Who We Are
Charlton Athletic Football Club is an English professional association football club based in Charlton, south-east London.
The women's team were originally formed as a non-professional team in 1991 and were highly successful in the early 2000s winning The FA Cup, the League Cup, and the Charity Shield, as well as coming runners-up in the top division in multiple seasons. In February 2021, the club acquired the Charlton Athletic Women's team, turning the team full-time professional, and integrating them to become one club again.
Currently, our men's first team competes in League One, the third tier of English football, and our women's team competes in the Women’s Championship, the second highest division of women's football in England. At Charlton, we are ‘one club’ and can be truly described as a ‘family club’.
About the role
The Head Groundsperson will have responsibility for the playing surface at the Club’s Valley stadium. The position will combine extensive ‘hands-on’ leadership with administrative and management responsibilities, reflective of the Club’s Vision, to be forward looking and innovative, whilst making reference to its unique and inclusive heritage.
The Head Groundsperson will be expected to be proactive in promoting improvements to meet the Club’s needs.
Working alongside their team to maintain and prepare the playing surface to an excellent standard to ensure that matches can go ahead on schedule. To ensure the surrounding areas of the stadium pitch are presented to the same high standard.
To take full responsibility for the day to day running of The Valley stadium pitch to meet the Club’s requirements. These duties include:
- Liaison with the first team management and coaching staff to ensure that their requirements are met.
- Close liaison with the Training Ground Head Groundsperson in order to provide comprehensive and co-ordinated pitch management across the business
- Formulate end of season pitch renovation program and time frame to meet the clubs needs.
- Manage all reactive, unplanned work on the pitch at the Valley.
- Be responsible for the maintenance and safe use of machinery.
- Keep, and provide as necessary, a full inventory of all grounds plant, equipment and machinery.
- Supervise and/or monitor contractors or sub-contractors working on the Valley pitch, employed directly by the Club or sub-contracted.
- Ensure all relevant Health and Safety standards are adhered to. Maintain a thorough knowledge of and ensure compliance with all relevant National and Local current legislation, i.e. first aid, COSHH, environment management and employment to ensure compliance.
- Manage and coordinate a nutritional and plant protection product program, to maximise the performance of the playing surface.
- Communicate and motivate staff to achieve work schedules and objectives, through clear performance targets and goals.
- Coordinate the negotiation, purchase, storage and control of all consumable materials and services in a cost effective manner.
- Ensure departmental working practices and behaviours are upheld and displayed in a manner, appropriate to the Club’s vision and values.
- To proactively monitor and benchmark the sharing of best practice trends in grounds management and implement change where necessary.
- Work collaboratively with other managers of the business, ensuring standards are consistent throughout the business and working relationships are kept positive at all times.
- To scope all tasks, pricing and ordering of materials, undertaking the work personally and / or coordinating and supervising others to deliver timely completion
- To prepare annual grounds budget for approval, prior to submission to the Board and to deliver all activity within the agreed budget.
- Experience of working on a variety of playing sports turf surfaces, including knowledge of maintenance of Desso / Hybrid / Fibres and synthetic surfaces. Understanding of automatic irrigation and undersoil heating systems.
- To support the Commercial and Marketing teams with the safe delivery of events programme.
Main job requirements and person specification
- National/Scottish Vocational Qualification Level 4 Amenity Horticulture and Sports Turf Management or IOG National Diploma in turf culture or BTEC/HND/HNC in Turf Science and Sports Grounds Management.
- Pesticides Application PA1, 2,
- Membership of GMA
- Relevant Health and Safety training essential
- Full Driving Licence.
- At least 3 years’ experience of managing and motivating a team in a sports pitch management environment
- Demonstrate experience of grounds maintenance and construction
- Experience of managing contractors
- Experience of budget management
- Effective communication skills
- Basic IT skills
- Demonstrate vision and ability to explain / impart / rationale to deliver change within an organisation
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Actively cooperate and communicate with others, fostering a culture of teamwork and collaboration.
- Positive about achieving Club, departmental and individual success.
- Proactively take on new responsibilities and seek out opportunities to learn new skills.
- Must have the ability to make quick decisions in a fast paced environment, if required.
- Must be accountable for delivering results within assigned levels of accountability.
We offer you a fantastic opportunity to work in a fact-paced, ambitious dynamic Football Club. In addition, we offer you the follow benefits:
- Private Healthcare
- Medicash cash back plan
- Employee Assistance (EA) program
- 5% discount in the Club Superstore
- Contributory pension scheme
- Applicants must be able to work extended and flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and public holidays.
- CAFC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development, and promotion are designed to ensure that no job applicant receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
- Hold a Full UK driving License
- Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
Charlton Athletic Football club are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. We endeavour to provide a fun, safe and welcoming environment where children and young people feel respected and valued.
and come back later!