Merton College Boat Club (‘MCBC’) is looking for an experienced and passionate Head Coach for our Men’s first boat. Our M1 currently sits at 8th on the river in Division I in Torpids and 6th in Division II in Summer Eights, and we have high hopes of building on this success.
We are looking for a coach for the next academic year, but are especially keen to have someone who can commit to multiple years with the club, to help our crew grow towards long-term goals and to continue to foster the positive environment on which MCBC prides itself.
- Water training: coaching on the water 3 mornings per week at Godstow, from a launch. In Michaelmas Term, the coach would be expected to train a rotation of all MCBC senior rowers (not just the first boat) at Godstow, whilst novice rowers train separately on the Isis. In Hilary and Trinity terms, this coaching is reserved for the first boat.
- Erg training: creating erg training programmes (which will then be coached by the captain and vice-captains) for
the entirety of the men's side.
- Fitness training: helping the captain to create a fitness training plan during term and vacation time.
- Individual feedback.
- Helping captains with crew selection and creating plans for rower development.
- Possibly coaching ergs/tank sessions and bank riding during regatta weeks.
- Helping to create and maintain a positive attitude towards training, improvement and racing.
- Experienced rowing and/or coaching at a competitive level.
- Previous coaching experience, including preferably from a launch.
- Knowledge and/or experience of coxing and appropriate coxing guidance.
- Good understanding of boat rigging and equipment.
- Enthusiasm for coaching and rower development.
- Understanding of Oxford College Rowing system and culture.
- British Rowing (or similar) coaching qualifications.
- Interest at coaching on Easter vacation training camp (possibly abroad)
Download full job description and person specification
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please submit a CV and Cover Letter via 'Apply Now'.
Applications close on 29th September 2023
and come back later!