The British Olympic Association and Team GB:
Team GB is one of the world’s best Olympic teams and, as a result of its athletes’ brilliant performances on the world stage, is one the nation’s most loved sports teams and one of its favourite brands. Run by the British Olympic Association (BOA), Team GB competes at Olympic and Olympic Winter Games and other events such as the European Games, Youth Olympic Games and European Youth Olympic Festivals.
The BOA is independent and privately funded. Our success is entirely dependent upon the income we receive from our commercial programmes, including but not limited to sponsorship, fundraising, licensing and events.
Team GB is the public-facing brand of the BOA and with over 3.5m followers across its channels has a highly engaged and passionate audience. With the Paris 2024 Olympic Games on the horizon and so close to home, the BOA has set out on an exciting new strategic path to refresh its brand, invest in data and generate new forms of content to grow our audiences and further engage the nation in support of our team and athletes.
Following the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games, Team GB is now in the final stages of the Beijing 2022 Olympic Winter Games and, with a shorter Olympic cycle, is less than three years away from Paris 2024. To support the business in an exciting time for Olympic sport, the British Olympic Association is looking to recruit a Communications Manager on a maternity cover basis as a key part of the wider marketing-communications team.
The individual will bring a high degree of self-motivation and original thinking into their work and should thrive in a busy and engaging media relations and operational environment. Equally at home answering the phone to national and international media or managing accreditation requests, you will play a key role in developing and delivering services to the media to raise the awareness and profile of Team GB and its athletes.
You will work closely with the sports engagement team and develop close relationships with all sport’s national governing bodies, athletes and athlete representatives. The role will also require close working relationships with partners across the UK high performance network – including UK Sport, English Institute of Sport, UK Anti-Doping etc – to help raise and sustain the British Olympic sport narrative collectively.
The successful candidate will also have the opportunity to work on or at all major Games events, supporting the team in delivering world-class media relations and operations at Games-time. You will get to work with athletes and sports to showcase the best talent, the brightest personalities, and the most memorable moments from some of the world’s biggest multi-sport events.
Through the coordination of exciting PR and communications strategies the role will play a key part in the development of Team GB’s wider brand strategy, supporting the nation’s most popular and loved sport team.
The position will be responsible for the coordination of all media operations – from setting up and delivering media events, to managing the end-to-end accreditation process for Games. The role requires participation in events and functions that often occur after normal business hours and on weekends.
• Serve as a primary point of contact for members of the media – respond to requests for information, interviews and comment from the media in a timely and professional manner
• Create and deliver a proactive media outreach strategy to develop Team GB and athlete and sport-specific narratives
• Working with National Governing Bodies on Team GB-related activations and announcements
• Manage all media operations, including, but not limited to:
- Media accreditation for all major Games
- Media briefings and conferences
- Management of media and media office database
- Coordination of media and communications activity at Team GB events e.g., Team GB Ball
• Manage and contribute to relationship with BOA Athletes’ Commission from a media and communications perspective
• Support and work with senior Board Members and executives including Chair, CEO, Vice Chair, and SLT
• Design and deliver the BOA’s media training programmes – for executives, athletes and coaches
• Serve as a senior member of the marketing and communications team in support of Team GB at major international events, such as the Olympic Games, Olympic Winter Games, European Games and Youth Olympic Games and Festivals, as required
• Support the Director of Marketing & Communications to develop, manage and coordinate Games-time teams/staff to deliver major Games programmes i.e., media officers, Managing Victory, UK media office etc.
• Provide communications counsel and professional development support to wider UK high performance sports network and colleagues as appropriate
Relationships and Interfaces:
• Marketing, digital and commercial teams
• Wider BOA organisation including Chair, CEO and Senior Leadership Team
• Athletes and athlete representatives
• Athletes’ Commission members
• Athlete Services Team
• National Governing Bodies
• Stakeholders e.g. UK Sport, UK Anti-Doping, English Institute of Sport
• Retained marketing and PR agencies
• Media – national and international
Essential Skills & Experience:
• Minimum five years’ experience in a media-facing role
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to successfully manage media relations, public relations and issue management strategies
• Excellent writing skills
• A strong media contacts book
• Ability to work effectively and comfortably under pressure of deadlines and manage multiple work streams
• Passion for sport and in particular Olympic sport
Desirable Skills & Experience:
• Experience within high-performance sport
• Experience of working with athletes
• Experience in media operations and/or accreditation principles/systems
• British high-performance sport / Olympic stakeholder relationships
How to apply
Please submit your CV with an accompanying cover letter outlining the key experience and skills that you can bring to the role by clicking 'apply now'.
Please include the reference COMMS22 in the subject line of your email.
Please ensure your cover letter and CV are saved in one document attached to your email