An exciting opportunity has arisen to join Bristol Bears as a Senior Academy Manager.
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF RUGBY
REPORTEES: JUNIOR ACADEMY MANAGER, ACADEMY TRANSITION COACH, ACADEMY SKILLS COACH & ACADEMY ADMINISTRATOR
Bristol Bears Rugby is part of Stephen Lansdown’s sporting group of companies which includes Bristol Sport, Bristol City Football, Bristol Flyers Basketball and each of their respective community charities.
Our ambition is ‘to inspire our community through rugby success’. Our supporters regularly attend Ashton Gate Stadium to watch the team perform in Premiership and European Cup Competitions.
The Academy forms part of the RFU/PRL Regional Academy network with the primary objective of identifying and developing the next generation of quality players for the Bristol Bears and England. The appointee will lead the operation of the Senior Academy, overseeing the personal and rugby development of identified Academy rugby players, whilst preparing them for a professional club playing career and developing them to challenge for places within England representative sides.
- To produce and prepare quality players for Bristol Bears to dominate the Premiership and the Champions Cup and to challenge for places within England representative sides.
- To produce and deliver annual playing programmes in conjunction with the RFU for all EAPs in line with individual needs and long-term development goals.
- Accountable to the RFU Head of Performance Pathways and Programmes for delivery of Academy outcomes via the Annual Performance Review and Academy spend (Annual Academy Audit).
- Overall management of Bristol Bears Rugby Senior Academy and responsible for all decisions relating thereto.
- To provide the Director of Rugby with a Senior Academy Season Plan before the start of the season, outlining the strategy to achieve the Performance objectives of the Academy.
- To provide the Director of Rugby with a Mid-Season and End of Season Report covering the progress, outcomes and recommendations of the Senior Academy Plan. Provide progress/highlight Reports for the Bristol Bears Board Meetings.
- Establish manage and review programmes for the U17-18 Player Development Groups (PDG) and the Senior Academy to ensure we are providing a regular flow of quality, aligned Academy developed players for the Bristol Bears that can dominate the Premiership and Champions Cup.
- Produce an Annual Playing programme for each England Academy Player (EAP) in conjunction with all relevant stakeholders to set out the competition schedule and aims for the coming season by the dates specified in the Academy Audit.
- Manage and review the structures and feeder systems that identify playing talent within existing club, school and CB squads, Developing Player Programmes (DPP), and by direct referral for the U17/18 Player Development Group (PDG) and Senior Academy.
- Manage and review the programmes to identify playing talent within the region, including Developing Player Programmes (DPP), and systems to unearth late developers for the U17/18 Player Development Groups (PDG) and Senior Academy.
- Using the expertise and knowledge of the appropriate Bristol Bears management team, support the enhancement of the Performance standards for rugby, strength and conditioning, nutrition, medical and off field development for U17/18 PDG players and each Junior and Senior England Academy Player (EAP).
- Identify and recommend to the Director of Rugby appropriate specialist coaching support for the Senior Academy and EAPs – position specific.
- In conjunction with the Director of Rugby manage the playing program of Integrated Academy squad players, ensuring adequate playing programs with dual registered/loan clubs.
- Ensure the highest level of analysis is performed and available regarding all academy scholars and share that information with Director of Rugby, Junior Academy Manager, Head of Athletic Performance, Head of Medical , RFU Head Performance Pathways and Programmes and PRL Head of Elite Performance and Player Development.
- Ensure all player tracking information is shared with appropriate Bristol Bears and RFU management as required.
- To recommend to the Director of Rugby and Head of Recruitment, potential players for recruitment from the U18’s and external sources into the full time Senior Academy and from the Senior Academy into the Bristol Bears to support growing our home grown players.
- Develop and support strong relationship with the Director of Rugby, Junior Academy Manager the DPP staff and coaches to ensure a strong program of development.
- Forge clear and positive relationships with teachers of rugby, coaches and development staff within feeder schools, clubs and CBs.
- Liaise with England Age Group coaches to ensure clear lines of communication and player management.
- Forge positive relationships with National League coaches to establish dual registration opportunities for Academy players.
- Liaise with the local Universities/or most appropriate local providers to broker flexible academic support services from appropriate local providers of higher, further and secondary education. Develop and explore options with partner schools and colleges.
- Support the Bristol Bears Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence Scheme at SGS College to ensure that Bristol Academy players are receiving excellent development opportunities.
- Liaise with the Director of Rugby & Chief Executive on the appointment/availability of appropriate coaching, medical, athletic performance and administrative staff in line with the minimum standards set out in the academy audit.
- Recommend to the Director of Rugby the appropriate program of CPD for self and other academy coaching staff.
- Manage, plan and work within agreed budgets. Liaise with Director of Rugby, Head of Finance and Chief Executive to ensure the Bristol Bears Academy operates within the Salary Cap regulations.
- Take full responsibility for delivering on the annual RFU/PRL Audit.
- Manage all academy player contracts and scholar agreements to ensure adherence with Player Compensation Regulations.
- Manage the Academy Licence through liaison with the RFU to ensure continued compliance with all License requirements.
- Provide coaching support and management back up to Bristol Bears Senior squad and Bristol Bears ‘A’ Team as required by Director of Rugby.
- Liaise with the RFU Head of Performance Pathways and Programmes and PRL Head of Player Development as required on relevant Academy Matters.
- Assist the Director of Rugby in maintaining Academy player discipline on and off the field. Administer the approved disciplinary procedures for the Academy players when appropriate.
- Chief Executive
- Junior Academy Manager
- Bristol Bears Management Team
- PRL Head of Player Development
- England team coaches and RFU development staff
- RFU Head of Performance Pathways and Programmes
- Have a significant level of experience and achievement in the coaching, supporting and development of young players.
- Effective management skills in a similar or related environment.
- Be qualified to a minimum of RFU level 3 coaching award (preferably RFU level 4 or MSc in a related field) or demonstrable experience in a relevant field.
- Excellent communication skills to explain and present information clearly for a variety of learning styles.
- Be a team player and well versed in developing constructive working partnerships with a range of stakeholders.
- Be able to demonstrate a strong work ethic, drive and enthusiasm in a similar role.
- Be a confident and proficient user of information technology.
- Be capable of Implementing overall strategy with attention to detail.
- Able to drive the Vision of the Bristol Bears and the purpose of the Academy.
- Full UK driving license.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please click 'Apply Now' to email a covering letter and a copy of your CV to our recruitment team.
Where required, this role may include duties at off site locations and may include weekend and weeknight working.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- Responsible for ensuring all health and safety procedures are followed at all times, with relevant paperwork to support.
- To ensure all employees complete their trained required to do their job.
- Report all incidents and accidents as required.
- To report any hazards detected.
- To complete and review the risk assessments for the department.
We are committed to the principle of equal opportunity and its policies for recruitment, selection, training, development and promotion are designed to ensure that no employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, ethnic and national origin, disability or gender reassignment.
SAFEGUARDING AND EQUALITY
Bristol Rugby Club Ltd is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all employees to share this commitment. This role would be subject to a Disclosure Barring Service (DBS) check.
and come back later!