Several exciting opportunities have arisen to undertake a fully funded applied PhD studentship in conjunction with the Cardiff Metropolitan University and Brentford Football Club. The purpose of these roles is to combine postgraduate research with the development of practitioner based applied sports science skills through assisting in the delivery of the performance strategy at Brentford FC. The four positions will be for a 3-year period subject to the satisfactory progress of the individual in the role. Three placements will conduct research with the first team squad while one placement will be assigned to the Academy.
As part of the performance team, and as a doctoral student, the key responsibilities of this role are:
- To plan and complete a program of research suitable for a PhD related to football performance.
- Engage with a program of applied sport science related training associated with the development of relevant competencies for applied practice within elite football.
- Assist in the delivery of the performance strategy, such as data collection, management and analysis, development and delivery of on pitch and gym-based training sessions, regular performance testing, and associated interpretation and reporting of results. Attendance at selected games and training camps if and when required.
- To fulfil the academic, professional, and personal requirements associated with the completion of tasks linked to doctoral level research and the role of a trainee practitioner in elite football.
The purpose of this PhD is to undertake a series of high-quality studies, which establish atheoretically informed performance program in elite football, identifying areas to optimise provision for elite football players. The four research areas will be focussed on the following: training and match performance demands, strength and conditioning, nutrition and recovery.
- Sports science, coaching science, and fitness or related experience in elite sport.
Education and Qualifications:
- Essential Bsc in sports science or related field.
- Desirable postgraduate qualification in sport science or related feel.
- Sound knowledge and practical experience of sports science and coaching techniques in elite sport, preferably football.
- Experience of engaging with players within an elite football environment. Ideally within the context of sports science and related activities.
- Demonstrate activity related to accreditation within a professional body relevant to sport and exercise science. UKSCA accredited or ability to obtain within six months
- Have previous experience of working in a sports nutrition capacity within elite or professional sport.
- Engaging personality and able person with the ability to adapt to fresh challenges.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal with the ability to manage time effectively and efficiently to achieve all aspects of the role.
- Good team player, and the ability to work on own initiative. Flexible. Approach to working hours is a must.
- A Master’s degree (Msc) with evidence of undertaking empirical research as part of your studies.
- Experience of conducting applied research in football.
- Experience of working within professional football or other elite sports.
Equality and inclusion:
Brentford Football Club is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages
applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates. Regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender, reassignment, religion, or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
How to Apply
Please click “Apply Now” to begin your application.
and come back later!