About the role
We are looking for someone that can assist in maintaining a quality racing surface all year round. Maintain of the outside areas to the highest possible standard of presentation and to assist in the maintenance of buildings and equipment as well as assisting in the operational aspects of Racedays and Events.
Key responsibilities for the role will include
THE RACING SURFACE
- Under the direction of the Estate Manager and Clerk of the Course, assist in carrying out a maintenance programme for the course to include fertilising, spraying and watering. This will involve record keeping and regular walking/inspection of the course and the adjoining areas
- Assist in the preparation of the course for racing – to include mowing, ‘treading in’, aeration, rolling and seeding as required
- Assist the repairing and setting out of all chase and hurdles during the season, including lead in rails. This will also include the sitting and positioning of hurdles for racing in agreement with the Estate Manager.
- Undertake rebuilding a percentage of the chase fences, as per the schedule agreed during the close season. All works to be carried as per BHAGIs and in liaison with the Estate Manager, Clerk of the Course and the BHA course inspector.
- Preparation for racing of the Tapeta track under instruction from the Estate Manager and Clerk of the Course, to include Gallop Master, Power Harrow, Rotavator, Rolling and regular decompaction works.
- Responsible for repairing, setting out and realigning of the running rail as required by the Estate Manager and Clerk of the Course
- Maintenance of all external fencing, other railings and signage
- Presentation of areas adjacent to the racing surface – mow, strim, clean running rail etc.
WATERING AND DRAINAGE
Under the guidance of the Estate manager and Clerk of the Course:
- Maintenance of irrigation equipment
- Course watering to achieve the desired Going
- Record keeping for the above
- Oversee drainage works and monitor performance of such once installed
LAWNS AND GARDENS
- Maintain Lawns and Parade Rings with particular attention to Raceday presentation and presentation for non raceday events.
- Maintenance of hedges around the parade rings
- Oversee with the stable manager/Clerk of the Course to ensure the BHAGI standards are met and the yard is well presented
- Assist with preparation of stables for racing and the post race cleaning.
OTHER RACECOURSE BUILDINGS
- In conjunction with the Estates Manager, assist with the building maintenance programme plus any necessary liaison with and control of third-party contractors
- Responsible for the general maintenance of outside areas including car parks, tracks, ambulance track, tarmac areas and horsebox park
- Ensuring all stands and enclosures are cleaned prior to racing and that all litter is removed after racing
- Monitor cleanliness of car parks, horsebox park, saddling boxes, equipment stores and all surrounding areas.
MACHINERY AND EQUIPMENT
- Ensure all course machinery and equipment is maintained in safe working order and all relevant paperwork is completed.
- Organise repairs and replacements where and when necessary. Approval must be sought on such expenditure for budgetary control form the Estate Manager/Clerk of the Course.
- Instruct, supervise and assist staff in their duties
- In the absence of the Estate Manager recruit casual labour for racedays and otherwise as required
- Ensure all staff comply with all statutory procedures and company rules
- In the absence of the Estate Manager supervise time keeping of all staff, plus collect, verify and return time sheets to the racecourse office. Report any sickness or absenteeism
- Keep records of and report any injuries to staff whilst on duty
- Supply staff with protective clothing when necessary
- Regulations and safe working practices in accordance with current legislation and as detailed in the Company’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
HEALTH, SAFETY, WELFARE AND ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT
- In liaison with the Estates Manager and the Site Manager ensure that all aspects of the company risk management programme are met and maintained. You will therefore need to refer to the Safety management System (SMS) to ensure that all grounds related tasks are completed in line with the standards and frequencies specified. This will also include making sure that all ground staff are provided with adequate information, instruction, training and supervision to enable them to operate safely and responsibly. This principle will also be applied so as to protect the racecourse and the environment.
- Other duties that may reasonably be required by the Management from time to time
- Where these duties relate to racing there must be an understanding of and adherence to the BHAGIs and, where appropriate, the Racecourse Manual.
To comply with all Health and Safety procedures associated with the department at all times. This relates to:
- Standards and procedures of correct working practices
- The completion of risk assessments
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment
To control wastage and operate according to the Companies environment policy with regard to:
- product control and waste minimisation
- proper care and maintenance of equipment to prolong its life
- using towels in appropriate quantity to minimise unnecessary laundering
- proper separation and disposal of cardboard, paper and glass in recycling bins
- minimising energy wastage by switching off unused lights, heating, PCs and equipment
To be an ambassador for ARC and for our site, taking personal responsibility for finding out about our product and services, and at all times striving to represent the Company in the most professional, courteous and efficient manner possible.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties, and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
and come back later!