BACKGROUND TO THE ROLE
2023 Cycling World Champs are seeking an experienced event security professional to join this policy-led project in its planning phase. This is a unique chance to be part of something different that will enhance Scotland’s reputation on a global scale as the perfect stage for events.
2023 Cycling World Championships Ltd will be a lean, central team managing a number of championship-wide services. The operations of the majority of the individual sport disciplines will be delivered by contracted, event delivery partners. Working in conjunction with Local Authorities and venues, these delivery partners will be responsible for forming Local Organising Committees for their respective event.
The Security Manager will be part of the Safety, Security and Medical team within the Operations Directorate, and will support in ensuring the security and health and safety responsibilities of the championships are delivered across the event.
The Security Manager will act as the project lead to Police Scotland, working in conjunction with their event planners to determine the required provision of Police Services and manage the associated major event MOU.
They will also support in the contract management of centrally procured safety and security related services.
WHAT IS THE JOB?
The main tasks of the role are to:
- Considering all relevant factors and working with national stakeholders, develop and continue to review the central security plan for this new format event.
- Lead contact with Police Scotland, reviewing national threat levels and creating proportionate security policies and procedures for the championships.
- Work in conjunction with Police Scotland event planners to determine the required provision of Police Services and manage the associated major event MOU.
- Establish and support ongoing reporting and dialogue between Police Scotland, Cycling World Championships, and the respective Local Organising Committees, in relation to public safety.
- Ensure suitable and sufficient plans are in place to manage security at the event, including Hostile Vehicle Mitigation (HVM).
- Oversee the procurement and contract management of any central security products and services including any required stewarding for central, hub venues.
- Monitoring the procurement, appointment, briefing and deployment of the stewarding and security contractors by our spoke organisations for each championship.
- Support multi-agency coordination for the championships promoting consultation, communication, and operational collaboration between all parties. • Ensure the championship’s Health & Safety Policy, in particular in relation to public safety, is understood and implemented by all event delivery partners.
- Support the contract management of centrally procured safety and security related services.
- Support the planning and implementation of the testing and readiness exercise programme.
- Level 4 NVQ Diploma in Spectator Safety Management or formal qualifications in crowd management
- A relevant security or policing qualification
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to develop a strong working relationship with Category 1 and 2 Responders in Scotland
- Ability to identify, evaluate, and advise on potential, safety and security risks and solutions.
- Excellent knowledge of relevant regulations, legislation, and relevant guidance including the Green Guide and Purple Guide
- Good Microsoft Office skills
- Strong communication and influencing skills
- Experience of working with police and organisers of multi-sports and/or multi-site events
- Experience of co-ordinating, influencing and gaining consensus with a multi-agency group leading to the development of effective operational plans
- Experience in planning for security and public Safety at events including the implementation of counter terrorism measures
The full job description and person specification is available to download here
How to Apply:
Please click 'Apply Now' to begin the online application process.
By applying for this position through VisitScotland’s recruitment site, you note that as part of the recruitment process, your CV and covering letter and any personal data contained therein may be shared with the following third parties for the purposes of reviewing, sifting, shortlisting and interviewing candidates: Scottish Government, UK Sport, British Cycling, Glasgow City Council, Glasgow Life and sportscotland. All third parties are required to take appropriate security and organisational measures to protect your personal information in line with data protection legislation and our policies. We do not allow third-parties to use your personal data for their own purposes. We only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions. For more information, please see VisitScotland’s privacy notice on its recruitment site.
Please note, HR support for 2023 Cycling Worlds Ltd, including recruitment activity is provided by VisitScotland Human Resources Team.
and come back later!